Cute and easy Thanksgiving table decorations make your holiday tablescape pop. These pinecone turkeys are the perfect do it yourself touch.
Let’s talk turkey decorations today shall we?
I kind of feel bad for Thanksgiving. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Thanksgiving, because it officially kicks off the one time of the year where I am not a raging loony tune lady listening to Christmas music. For the month between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I actually make sense to the rest of the world and life is good.
However, Thanksgiving itself tends to get lost in the shuffle between Halloween and the mad dash towards Christmas. Retailers are even opening their stores earlier on Thanksgiving to kick off Black Friday sales. Poor Thanksgiving.
Plus looking around for straight up Thanksgiving decorations is kind of a challenge. You have to be a holiday MacGyver to find good Thanksgiving decorations in the store, or you could do what I did and be a hot glue gun holiday ninja.
I like being a ninja. Especially where holidays and glue guns are concerned. It was this very act of holiday glue gun ninja-ing that led to the creation of these little pinecone turkey place holders, which in and of themselves are little ninjas. You see, these little turkey place card holders were my brain child when I was looking to create ornaments for my Thanksgiving tree. and originally were meant to only be ornaments, but then in true ninja fashion, they morphed into another thing.
Place card holders. Awesome and easy and to add to their ninja-ness: good smelling. So these little turkeys serve yet another purpose (ornament, place card holder, and potpouri. So impressive.)
Each of these little turkey pine cone creations only took a few minutes to make and there was very little muss and fuss involved. The most involved thing you have to do is wait for the glue gun to warm up. Beyond that, you don’t even really need scissors. How’s that for a low maintenance craft project that you can do last minute to add some flair to your Thanksgiving table?
Yep, I’m feeling pretty proud of my holiday glue gun ninja-ness right about now.
Thanksgiving Turkey Place Card Holders
- cinnamon pinecones
- miniature craft pumpkins
- hot glue gun with hot glue
- paper clips
- assorted fabric autumn leaves
How to Make:
- Plug in the glue gun and let it get hot. When the gun is hot, glue the base of the pumpkin to the flat side of the pinecone. Be sure to glue the pumpkin just a bit above the center line of the pine cone with the stem of the pumpkin pointing downward as the turkey’s beak. Hold the pumpkin in place until the glue has set.
- Glue one autumn leaf on each side of the pinecones as wings. If needed trim the stem off of the leaf first. Attach the leaves with the stem side of the leaf closest to the pumpkin.
- Finish the turkey by hot gluing a leaf on the back side of the pine cone as a tail feather. If you are using faux maple leaves, 1 leaf will work just fine, If you are using oak leaves, arrange 3 leaves together, fanning them out slightly from the stem side of the leaves. Be sure to put the stem side of the leaves facing down.
- Create a stand for your finished turkey by pulling apart a paper clip until it forms a triangle. Attach the triangle to the bottom of the turkey with one dollop of glue. Hold in place until the glue is set and manipulate the paper clip if needed to make the turkey stand up right.
- Slide another paper clip over one of the pieces of the pine cone to create the place card holder.
Looking for more Thanksgiving crafts? You may also like:
Looking for another easy pinecone project? Check out: