The last time I checked it was still awfully cold outside and there is still the gray remains of snow on the ground even though spring is right around the corner. The nasty winter weather only means one thing: soup. Creamy, rich, warm, and soothing; soup is the perfect comfort food. It’s a hug, in a bowl. And this spicy sweet potato bisque is just that: a big kicked up hug in a bowl with cheese on top.
This soup is one of those delightful meals that tastes like it should be much worse for you than it actually is. It’s decadent and tastes like it is made with sinful heavy cream. But, dieters, rejoice! There is not a drop of heavy cream in this recipe, or even a tablespoon of butter. The velvety texture of this soup will definitely have you fooled into thinking that it is an indulgence when it’s not. Your taste buds will celebrate and your thighs will rejoice when you can still pull on those skinny jeans after eating this because it’s super healthy, naturally gluten free, and can be vegetarian.
As if being delicious and skinny jean approved weren’t good enough, it’s easy to make. The only prep that is required of this soup is turning on your oven and rough chopping two bell peppers and an onion. And I do mean rough chop. No need to spend lots of time slicing and dicing your veggies into perfect little minced mouthfuls. Literally just throw those veggies in the oven about 5 minutes after throwing in two whole sweet potatoes. Let them roast for about 40 minutes. That’s plenty of time do other things- clean the kitchen, walk the dog, get in a workout, sit on the couch and catch up on some tv, take a shower… The possibilities are endless. Then throw the veggies into a blender along with chicken stock (or vegetable stock if you are vegetarian) and blend and heat on the stove top until warmed through.
Easy right? 10 minutes total, active time spent in the kitchen. You can’t beat that for a hearty but healthy dinner that’s full of good for you things like vitamins A and C with a nice shot of calcium and protein from the cheese.
I think we have a winner here.
Spicy Sweet Potato Bisque
Ingredients (Serves 6-8)
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 sweet onion
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 jalapeno (optional- if you want some heat but not too much, remove the seeds and ribs and use only a portion of the pepper)
- 1 cup of part skim cheddar cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 6-8 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1.5 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make:
- Preheat the oven to 400. When the oven is preheated, put sweet potatoes in to begin baking while the rest of the veggies are prepped.
- Rough chop the rest of the veggies and toss them in olive oil, seasoning them salt and pepper, paprika, and chili powder. Spread the veggies out on a cookie sheet, covered with aluminum foil and sprayed with cooking spray. Roast the veggies for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove the sweet potatoes and the veggies from the oven. Let cool until the potatoes are cool enough to handle. Remove skins. In three batches, blend the potatoes with the vegetables and chicken stock until smooth. Heat in a large pot over medium heat, melting in one cup of cheddar cheese. Serve hot and garnish with additional cheese if desired.